Wednesday, August 30, 2017

My "Let Go" List

Vines, Weeds and Blooms in "The Blue Garden"


I took a walk through The Cabbage Gardens today. There were a bunch of weeds and overgrown vines everywhere and a couple of the annuals I planted in Spring have died off a little early. Still, I chose to focus only on what was blooming and thriving and then moved on.

This is progress. A few years ago I would have been very stressed out about the current state of my gardens. But now I know it's not a big deal. There will be plenty of time to tidy things up a bit in the Fall and in Spring I will once again be out there attacking weeds with vigor. But in Summer and Winter, I give myself a break and focus on other things.

The truth is no one can keep up with everything all the time, especially if you are like me and have a lot of different interests. Being a homeowner, or just being a human being, requires that we pick our battles. So sometimes before I can make my "To Do List", I find it helpful to make a "Let Go" list.

It's a constant balancing act and I can't tell you how to do it because what's a priority for me may not be a priority for you and vice versa. However, to give you an idea I thought I would share the next three items currently on my "Let Go" list:

  1. Cleaning out my basement until such a time as the rest of my house is perfectly clean and in order (aka never).
  2. Getting my clutter out of the guest room (as long as we don't have guests).
  3. Cleaning out the garage, at least until just before Winter (it would be nice to park our cars in there then).

Let's face it, whether or not I made this list, these things weren't going to get done any time soon. However, declaring it to myself, and now to you, releases me of my recovering perfectionist angst and gives me more energy to focus on the projects I'm really passionate about right now. Seriously, I feel lighter already.

So, if you are a recovering perfectionist like me (or want to be), I invite you to join me. What are three things you are ready to let go of right now? Share your "Let Go" list in the comments below or just with yourself and your household.

And then go do what makes you happy.

1 comment:

  1. Great nourishment! Thanks always for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete