Thursday, June 18, 2015

8 Places To Put Books (Other Than Bookcases)



I have always said there is no such thing as too many books but this theory of mine has been severely tested lately.  Ever since I got rid of the two big bookcases that were in our guest room, I have had to be a little more creative when it comes to figuring out where to put my books.

Here are 8 places I have come up with so far:

1. In a bin or a basket

I am always picking up fun bins or baskets when I find them on discount somewhere.  They are an easy, inexpensive way to add pattern or texture to a room as well as storage.  You can put just about anything in them, including books!


Books In Baskets

2. In A Bag

A book bag is a practical thing to have, especially if you and your books are on the move a lot.  We keep ours on a hook in the hallway and use it for our library books.


Cool Cat Reading Tote Bag Available At My Zazzle Shop

3. On A Chair

Chairs, like books, are something I have a lot of.  When they aren't being occupied by cats or people, they make a great place for books.  


This chair is a beautiful family heirloom but not very practical
for sitting, which makes it perfect for books!

4. Under A Nightstand

When I shop for tables or nightstands, I always look for ones that have a shelf underneath for books.  If you don't have a shelf under your nightstand you could still stack books neatly beneath it on the floor.


This nightstand with a drawer and a shelf was a flea market score!

5. On A Bench

If you don't want books cluttering up your nightstand you could always put them on a bench at the end of your bed.  You could also stack them beneath a bench.


This little bench I found at a flea market was probably made for dolls but works great for books too.

6. On A Dresser

A few favorite books and a cherished set of bookends can make a charming display on a dresser or any surface.


These bookends are one of my favorite thrift store finds.

7. On The Window Sill

Maybe it's not the most practical spot, but I do find myself using window sills as at least a temporary place to put my books.  You could also put a shelf or a bench just beneath the window for books, or in my case, cats.


Where Poe Meditates

8. On Ledges 

I am a big fan of display ledges and Hippie and I have made and installed them in several rooms of The Cabbage.  They are a great place for art, knick knacks and, of course, books.


These ledges we installed in the guest room
allow my art books to be displayed as art.

Do you know of any other places for books that I may have overlooked?  Please feel free to share them in the comments below and I will be sure to update you when I find more.

Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!


1 comment: